But currently it’s slightly facing the crux due to various messaging applications being introduced in the market. As for any number of SMS you send within your contact list you’re being charged by the network operator whereas for every single message you send through the mobile apps are free of cost. SMS is undelivered to a particular number or contact only if the network signal is sluggish or if the internet is not working. Hence this makes SMS still one of the most preferred messaging tool to send and receive messages.
So what exactly makes SMS still a dominant and a powerful tool when it comes to sending and receiving messages? Let’s quickly glance through some of the key points that makes SMS still a strong and a powerful tool.
- SMS is easy, quick and effective to send: -One of the huge benefit of SMS is its closeness and succinctness. A well-structured message tells a lot many things to the reader about the company or about the sender of the message. An SMS is easily opened and read if the message is striking and attention grabbing than being more like the usual informative marketing or a promotional message which is easily ignored by most. An SMS message should always be sent keeping the customer in mind, their preferences, and current trends etc.
- Remunerative: -SMS marketing is the most affordable and inexpensive form of marketing than the other forms of traditional marketing. It will definitely help in scaling up your business thereby maximizing the costs.
- Higher Open Rate: -The high open rate makes SMS marketing an ideal tool to leverage your message to reach across a larger audience. Latest research has revealed that the open rate of SMS is quite higher than the open rate of Emails sent. One can be assured of the SMS message being read instantly once it’s received in the message box whereas most of the emails go unread and then eventually get deleted.
- Being Direct and Personal: - SMS when sent still feels quite personal. It usually offers a direct line of communication between the sender and the receiver of the message. It isn’t a surprising thing that the receivers still respond quickly to a message received than the emails received in their respective inbox. As per a recent study the click through rate of an SMS is relatively higher than the click through rates of emails, thus making SMS marketing exceedingly an actual means of communication.
- Incorporation with the other channels: -To ensure that your communication reaches your right audience at a right time you can make use of Social and traditional media while sending the SMS. For this one can insert the link while sending the message which directs the user to the related website or social media platform.
- Option of Subscribe and Unsubscribe: -SMS offers the option of subscribe and unsubscribe the promotional and marketing messages sent by ecommerce platforms, shopping sites which is an ideal example of a 2-way message.
- Supports a two-way conversation: -A two way SMS service makes use of specific keywords and short codes while sending out messages. Most of us prefer authentic communication and this is where a two-way SMS makes a striking and a useful conversation.
- Data and Acumen: -Through SMS Marketing, businesses can easily track and analyse how many people received and opened the message. You can also keep a track of how many people clicked the inserted hyperlink in the SMS, to visit the particular website or the landing page. Another greatest advantage of this channel is that it offers precise date about the customers visit on the website and their behaviour. For e.g. In a particular city or country what is the best time to send a text message, how successful was a particular campaign that was led. Direct response of an SMS strategy permits these questions to be answered at a faster pace than ever before.
- Unrivalled Reach: -Applications like Emails and WhatsApp requires data or Wi-Fi- connection. With most of the mobile phones being SMS enabled these days, SMS is the actual channel with the maximum reach. Text messages via SMS are spread through networks that are span across and cover populated location.
- Truly International: -SMS is one of the best way to communicate with your esteemed list of customers who are across various demographics, geographies etc. Apart from sending promotional messages, alerts, SMS can also be used these days in various languages. This makes the brands more approachable to the present consumers which can lead to a wider user engagement.
SMS being a lucrative, easy to implement and a widely accepted medium it is certainly considered to be an incredibly powerful messaging tool. SMS is one of the most convenient services from the sender and the user’s end which saves lot of time and money. It’s quite effective than an email which may go unnoticed in the inbox and less disturbing than a phone call. SMS services enable to flawlessly engage with your customers in an effective manner. Thus the above underlying statements certainly make SMS a simple yet a powerful messaging tool.